DACHSHUND FANCIERS OF CENTRAL VIRGINIA
“THE LONG AND SHORT and WIRE OF IT”
NEWSLETTER VOL. 14 NO. 3
The Dachshund Fanciers of Central Virginia met last night and elected their slate of officers which are as follows:
Barbara Friedman, President
Next Board Meeting is Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2004 at 7:00 PM.
Member Meeting is Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2004 at 7:30 PM
Thank you all for having enough faith and confidence in me to elect me as your President for '04-'05. In the coming year, I look forward to meetings and events that will be informative, interesting and fun! We will always have a program- either a speaker or video, and refreshments and socializing (for us AND our dogs) at the end. We will adhere very closely to our Constitution and By-Laws in a timely manner. A priority will be to reach out to new members and our out of town ones by having at least 3 meetings a year on the weekend during the day- i.e. an event on a Sunday afternoon. We must embrace and be more inclusive of the diversity of our membership. Everyone has an area of expertise, and by pooling our personal resources in harmony and fellowship, we can together make this Club the best that it can be, and should be. I am excited and feel very honored to be given the opportunity to lead us on to bigger and better things, and at this time, ask you all for your cooperation and good will. Volunteer, express your opinion, try to get involved. Your extra effort will be rewarded in unexpected ways, and you will always be listened to with respect. I hope to welcome you all at the Holiday Party at my house on Dec 5th. See you then, if not before at the meeting on Nov 16th!
Holiday Party is Sunday, December 5, 2004 beginning at 2:00 PM at Barbara Friedman's.
Directions to follow and menu to be decided at the next meeting.
Barbara Friedman's Friedox For Heaven's Sake! MW, went WB, Fri.,
From Kathy Nixon-Turner
Mind Games Dogs Can Play On Humans1. After your humans give you a bath, DON'T LET THEM TOWEL DRY YOU! Instead, run to their bed, jump up and dry yourself off on the sheets. This is especially good if it's right before your human's bedtime.
2. Act like a convicted criminal. When the humans come home, put your ears back, tail between your legs, chin down and act as if you have done something really bad. Then, watch as the humans frantically search the house for the damage they think you have caused. (Note: This only works when you have done absolutely nothing wrong.)
3. Let the humans teach you a brand new trick. Learn it perfectly. Then the humans try to demonstrate it to someone else, stare blankly back at the humans. Pretend you have no idea what they're talking about.
4. Make your humans be patient. When you go outside to go 'pee', sniff around the entire yard as your humans wait. Act as if the spot you choose to go pee will ultimately decide the fate of the earth.
5. Draw attention to the human. When out for a walk always pick the busiest, most visible spot to go 'poo'. Take your time and make sure everyone watches. This works particularly well if your humans have forgotten to bring a plastic bag.
6. When out for a walk, alternate between choking and coughing every time a strange human walks by.
7. Make your own rules. Don't always bring back the stick when playing fetch with the humans. Make them go and chase it once in while.
8. Hide from your humans. When your humans come home, don't greet them at the door. Instead, hide from them, and make them think something terrible has happened to you. (Don't reappear until one of your humans is panic-stricken and close to tears).
9. When your human calls you to come back in, always take your time. Walk as slowly as possible back to the door.
10. Wake up twenty minutes before the alarm clock is set to go off and make the humans take you out for your morning pee. As soon as you get back inside, fall asleep.
Safety hints passed along by Kathy Nixon-Turner
It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage: A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.
DO NOT open the door for a crying baby.----This e-mail should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.
2005 Show Update
Our judge for Saturday’s Specialty held in conjunction with VKC all breed show is Eugene Blake - this is the day of our luncheon. And we need to come up with a sweepstakes judge so your thoughts are needed on that as well. Sunday we will “support” entries and our judge is Ms. Denny Mounce.
Submitted by M.A. Massie
Disclaimer: The staff of the DFCV newsletter is not responsible for the statements and opinions expressed in signed articles or paid advertisements. Opinions are not necessarily those of the staff or administration of the DFCV. Anonymous submittals will not be accepted.
:: Downloadable .doc file ::